Welcome back to the second part of my article on Hayfever and how to treat it with Homeopathy. In Part One I explained why hayfever occurs and what steps you can take to help yourself if you are a sufferer. InPart Two I will be showing you which homeopathic medicines you can use to treat the acute symptoms of hayfever and how to prescribethem.
So what are the main symptoms of hayfever?
- Itchy eyes, nose, palate, throat
- Nose running or stuffed up
- Watery eyes
- Congestion in the head
- Feeling of being run down
How can Homeopathy help?
Homeopaths treat hayfever sufferers mainly in two ways:
- They can prescribe a medicine to deal with the acute symptoms
- Or they can treat the individual in a constitutional way before the hayfever season starts to prevent the hayfever response.
In addition they can give a special homeopathic medicine prepared from the pollen that causes the allergic rhinitis response, and effectively de-sensitize the individual. This is called Isopathy. If you are are usually a hayfever sufferer, I recommend you pay your local homeopath a visit before the onset of the hayfever season or before your symptoms make your life miserable. Yor homeopath should be able to treat you constitutionally (if you have gone early enough), or with isopathy.
So what can YOU do today to alleviate your acute hayfever symptoms yourself with Homeopathy?
I have described the hayfever or allergic rhinitis symptoms of 8 Homeopathic medicines below. All you need to do is match the one that is closest to your symptoms.
All these homeopathic medicines are available from a good health store that sells homeopathic medicines in a 30th potency.
How you take your Homeopathic medicine
- Buy your medicine in the 30th potency which means you can repeat it often.
- Take a single pillule (or 2 drops if it is a liquid medicine) and repeat every 20 minutes for two hours.
- If you have an improvement in your symptoms before the 2 hours has passed, you can take it half hourly instead.
- Then once a marked improvement is obtained take it when your symptoms start returning or worsening.
- Once you have reached a level where your symptoms are under control, take your appropriate homeopathic medicine4 X day when you are suffering, or anticipate high pollen exposure.
The Golden Rule when choosing your acute homeopathic medicine is that you do not have to have ALL the symptoms described for the chosen medicine, all of the time. Choose the medicine that has the closest fit with your symptoms.
Homeopathic Medicines for Hayfever and Allergic Rhinitis
Allium Cepa: This medicine is made from red onion and we all know the effects that chopping a red onion can have! Streaming nose with a burning discharge and watery, stinging eyes but with tears that are bland rather than burning.
Arsenicum: The nose produces a thin, watery discharge but can also feel stuffed up like the onset of a cold. Sneezing can be incessant. The mucous membranes of the eyes and nose are irritated.
Euphrasia: Use Euphrasia when your eye symptoms are the most prominent as this medicine has a strong affinity for the eyes. The tears burn (see Allium Cepa where the tears are bland), and the nose discharge is bland. There may also be a daytime cough but not at night.
Ferrum Phos: This is the medicine to take when allergy symptoms start and it can have the effect of lessening the attack or stopping it altogether. Symptoms include runny eyes with gritty or burning feeling, flushed face, watery nose and a short, hard, tickly cough.
Natrum Muriaticum: Symptoms for this medicine will be attacks of sneezing, with watery eyes, a nasal discharge that looks like raw egg white and loss of taste and smell. The patient may have dark circles under the eyes, be thirsty and possibly withdrawn and sad.
Nux Vomica: A nose that alternates between running indoors and in the daytime, and is stuffed up outdoors and at night, are the main indications for this medicine. Tearing cough, scraping sensation in the throat and a headache. The patient will be irritable and chilly.
Sabadilla: Wyethia: A sensation of an unbearable itching in the mouth (palate) and behind the nose sometimes extending to ears and throat. Al the mucous membranes feel dry and irritated but the nose may still run!
Remember the following self help measures from Part one in the last Issue of Homeopathy @ home:
This medicine will ease a continuous and violent sneezing accompanied by a highly irritating tickling in the nose. The nose itself has one nostril blocked and the other running copiously or at least freely with eyes watering and burning.
- Keep bedroom windows shut in Spring and Summer
- Keep car windows shut and if your car has the option re-circulate the internal car air for short country journeys
- Avoid being outside in the early evening as the damp air causes pollen to fall to ground level where you are!
- Wear sunglasses to keep some pollen out of your eyes
General Self-Help Measure you can use:
- Blow your nose gently rather than hard to avoid bursting any pollen grains in your nose causing further irritation
- Bathe itchy eyes in a solution of Euphrasia tincture. Put a drop in an eyebath of cool boiled water and bathe the eyes
- Avoid cigarette smoke
- Take Vitamin C and Zinc and support the immune system while it is working hard
- Examine ways you can reduce your stress levels such as meditation, exercise and yoga breathing techniques as stress makesallergies worse.
If you want more simple information on how to treat a wide range of First Aid situations look no further than the Homeopathic Coach Guide to First Aid atwww.thehomeopathiccoach.com
Happy Homeopathic home prescribing!
© Sam Adkins 2008
Would you like to include this article in your newsletter or website?
You can as long as you include the following blurb with it:
This article was brought to you by Sam Adkins The Homeopathic Coach who publishes the ezine Homeopathy@Home to provide free Homeopathic tips, tools and resources to educate and inspire you to use Homeopathy at home. www.thehomeopathiccoach.com