What is Chronic Fatigue?
Follow the 5 Steps
- Careful, clear diagnostics from a good natural therapist who understands this problem, OR a conventionally qualified medical person who has specialised in this very condition. The reason for this will become clear later on in this article.
- Nutritional supplementation and dietary support.
- Homeopathic constitutional treatment to trigger the body's healing capacity.
- Mental/emotional support.
- Active rest and exercise programs.
Adrenal Fatigue or Exhaustion
What are the Adrenals Glands?
- Mineralcorticoids such as aldosterone which conserves sodium ions in the body and influences water balance
- Glucocortoids - mainly cortisol which influences blood glucose levels amongst other things
- Gonacortoids (sex hormones) - androgens in men and estrogens in women (and to a lesser extend men).
What is adrenal fatigue?
So what are the Adrenal fatigue symptoms?
- excessive fatigue and exhaustion
- frequent infections/low immune function
- non-refreshing sleep/sleep issues
- overwhelmed by or unable to cope with any stress
- feeling rundown or overwhelmed
- craving salty and sweet foods
- food/environmental allergies
- you feel most energetic in the evening
- low stamina, slow to recover from exercise
- slow to recover from injury, illness or stress
- difficulty concentrating, brain fog
- poor digestion
- premenstrual syndrome or difficulties that develop during menopause
- consistent low blood pressure
- extreme sensitivity to cold
How can you get a diagnosis?
Self-Help: What you can do
- Support your adrenals with a natural adrenal extract. Depending on your country, compounding pharmacies can make an adrenal extract that can temporarily supply your body with some of the hormones it normally produces whilst your adrenals can have a rest. Think of it like plugging in an appliance to the main electricity instead of running down the battery. Sources vary from country to country so try Google first.
- Set yourself a sleep routine: Your body is struggling so you need to provide it with a routine that supports it. The adrenals have a natural low around 2-3pm so if you are not at work, it is essential that you lie down and rest BEFORE this time. 1.30pm is ideal. Meditation is optimal but as long as you lie down and relax it will definitely help. More on rest/exercise routines for health recovery in a subsequent post!
- Eat to support your adrenals: One of the role of the adrenal hormone cortisol is to influence your blood sugar levels. If you eat the wrong foods infrequently, your system will require cortisol to enable it to access glucose. Eating small, frequent protein meals supports the adrenals by lessening the demands made on them.
- Avoid stimulants such as Caffeine in chocolate,coffee, tea, Red Bull etc, gurana, and any other known stimulants must be avoided at all costs. These cause your adrenals to over produce hormones unnecessarily and are a short term fix causing more strain.